Fisher P-75 Eagle

12:20 Aviation Views 1 Comments



The Fisher P-75A Eagle (English for "Eagle") is a single-seater American 1944 high-performance hunting aircraft with two opposing coaxial propellers. The Eagle had its first flight on 17 November 1943, in reconstructed form in September 1944. It characterized itself by high speed and an extreme climbing performance. As there were some accidents in testing, the USAAF reduced the number of new hunters, and simpler patterns such as the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt and North American P-51 Mustang also had large ranges, as well as extreme climbs The P-75 is not included in the serial production. The last machines were then used only for test purposes.



History :  
  
In September 1942, the USAF sent an inquiry to General Motors (GM) to develop a high-speed, high-speed fighter. The aircraft should receive the strongest currently available liquid-cooled aircraft engine, an Allison V-3420-19 with 24 cylinders and an output of 2,637 hp (1,939 kW).

During this time, General Motors was involved in various aircraft productions such as the Torpedobomber Grumman TBM Avenger for the US Navy. Some sources even claim that General Motors has only adopted the XP-75 project to escape the elaborate production of the Boeing B-29 Superfortress. The very high priority of the XP-75 made this possible.

In October 1942 a contract for two XP-75 prototypes was signed by the Fisher Body Division of GM. The aircraft was assembled from various other aircraft components. The wings came from the North American P-51 Mustang, the stern from the Douglas A-24 (SBD) and the hull from the Vought F4U Corsair chance. The aircraft got a mid-engine, which propelled the propeller over a distance wave similar to the Bell P-39 Airacobra. Later the P-51 wings were replaced by the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. The P-75 was also characterized by an exceptionally heavy armament of ten 12.7 mm machine guns, six of which (as in the P-51) in the wings and four in the fuselage. There was also the possibility of transporting two 227 kg bombs (500 lb) under the wings and making the Eagle usable as a hunting bomber.

In the middle of 1943, the demand for far-reaching companions became more and more urgent, and the rate was unimportant, so six more XP 75 machines were converted into far-reaching hunters. An order of 2,500 machines was planned, if the XP-75 proved successful.

The first XP-75 flew on 17 November 1943 and the second engine shortly afterwards. In the spring of 1944, a test of all six machines took place, with which, however, various disturbances arose. Thus there were engine failures, the cooling performance was deficient and high cross-controlling forces at high speeds were observed. The aircraft had to be reconstructed. It also got a new rear, a new cabin roof and a new even more powerful Allison V-3420-23 engine with a power of 2,925 hp (2,151 kW). These changes solved most of the problems and these new P-75A machines went into the test phase in September 1944.

At this time, the USAAF reduced the number of new hunting aircraft patterns. Machines like the P-47 Thunderbolt and P-51 Mustang already showed excellent range. The production of the P-75A was abandoned on 8 November 1944, after three accidents had already occurred. Five machines were finished for test purposes and served for some time after the end of the war.
A total of 14 machines were produced by the P-75 Eagle.




Technical specifications :
   
Length : 12,32 m
Wingspan : 15,05 m
Wing area : 32.24 m²
Height : 4.72 m
Drive 1 × Allison V-3420-23 water-cooled 24-cylinder 2.885 hp (2.150 kW)
Maximum speed : 697 km / h at 6,100 m altitude
Range : 3.300 km
Crew : 1
Height of service : 6,160 m
Empty Weight : 5.214 kg
Air mass : 6.263 kg
Max. takeoff weight : 8.260 kg

Arming six 12.7-mm MGs in the wings, four 12.7-mm MGs in the fuselage, two 227-kg bombs



1 comment: