Caudron G.3

04:17 Aviation Views 0 Comments

Caudron G3 ,  Source :Wikimedia Commons

The Caudron G.3 was a single-engine biplane built by French Caudron and used extensively during World War as reconnaissance and training aircraft. Vis-à-vis its competitors, it had a better rate of climb, and was considered particularly suitable for mountainous terrain.



History : 

The Caudron G.3 was designed by René and Gaston Caudron based on their previous Caudron G.2 for military use. The first flight took place in May 1914 on their airfield Crotoy. The driver is located in a nacelle at the wings, the apparatus is powered by a single motor in star mounted at the front of the apparatus, the tail is twofold. The biplane wings used to deformations before they were replaced by conventional ailerons located on the high wing.

Following the 1914 outbreak of war, the unit was ordered in large quantities. Factories Caudron had fabricated 1423 (2450 of these aircraft were built in France) and was built under license in various other countries: 233 were built in the UK and 166 in Italy. By patriotism, the Caudron brothers did not ask for the dividend construction license.

Normally, the G.3 was unarmed, although some units were equipped with light machine guns and homemade hand grenades. The twin-engined Caudron G.4 succeeded in G.3.


The French squadron was equipped C11 G.3 of the declaration of war and was well equipped for recognition. The device proved effective. Gradually, his poor performance and lack of weapons made him too vulnerable to equip the front line where he was finally removed 1916. Italy also used the G.3 for recognition on a large scale until 1917, as well as the British, the small bombs and machine guns equipment for ground attack.

At the end of the war he served as a training aircraft. The Caudron G.3 was also used by China and these units remained in service for training until most or captured by the Japanese.

Light and handy, the Caudron G.3 was deemed safe and sound. January 19, 1919, Jules Védrines landed with a G.3 Caudron on 25 m of track was the roof of Galeries Lafayette on Boulevard Haussmann in Paris. In 1921, it was with a G.3 Caudron Adrienne Bolland was the first woman to cross the Andes. October 6 October 1925, the aviatrix Maryse Bastie, who had just obtained his pilot's license in Bordeaux, passed with a G.3 Caudron under the cables of the transporter bridge in Bordeaux.



Variants :
The majority were G.3 A2 model, used by many air forces on the western front, Russia and the Middle East. G.3 The D2 were two-seat aircraft equipped with dual controls. The E2 was the single-seater version of the drive unit. The R1 version was developed on the basic version by France and used to drive the taxi. Large sections of wings were removed during manufacturing to prevent the airplane flies. The latest version, the G3.12 was equipped with an engine more powerful star, Anzani 10.

In Germany, Gotha manufactured copies of G.3 known by the names of LD3 and LD4 (Land Doppeldecker - Field Biplane).



Specifications :   

Crew : 2
Length: 6.40 m
Wing span: 13.40 m
Height: 2.50 m
Wing area : 27.00 m²
Empty weight : 447 kg
Max. takeoff weight : 735 kg
Standard engine: an air-cooled circulating motor Clerget or Gnôme-Rhône
Starting Power: 59 kW (80 PS)
Max speed: 115 km / h
Climbing speed at 2.000 m: 20 min
Service Ceilling : 3,500 m
Range: 360 km
Armament: 1 MG 7.7 mm




Operators :
France
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
China
Colombia
Denmark
El Salvador
Finland
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Kingdom of Italy
Japanese
Peru
Portugal
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Kingdom of Spain
Soviet Union
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Venezuela


Heritage :  
Some Caudron G.3 are shown in museums such as the Museum of Air and Space and the Royal Air Force Museum London in Hendon.


A faithful reconstruction, airworthy, is based at the airfield of La Ferte-Alais.


Caudron G3 at exposition in the Airspace Museum in Rio de Janeiro. Photo Source : Wikimedia Commons
















0 commentaires: