Breda Ba.65

11:52 Aviation Views 0 Comments

Breda Ba.65 Italian ground attack aircraft near Rome, Italy in 1939 . Photo Source 



Breda Ba.65

The Breda 65 Nibbio (Habicht) was a single-engine, Italian ground-fighting aircraft from 1935, which was used both in the Spanish Civil War and in the first years of the Second World War. The Ba.65, which was also delivered to several other countries, was far ahead of its time and proved itself quite well in its role as actually thought, but could not bring its full potential to bear because of inadequate engine power. Their last missions took place in late February 1941 in North Africa.




History : 

The Breda Ba.65 flew for the first time in September 1935. For the time, the machine based on a concept of Colonnello Mecozzi was an advanced concept: a two-seater battle aircraft, which was to attack targets on the front or directly behind them with guns and light bombs, Similar to the fact that the Soviet Air Force later realized with the Il-2. The Italian engine however suffered from the fact that the Italian engine industry could not provide an engine with sufficient power. The aircraft were built at Breda and Caproni.

In 1936, the Regia Aeronautica ordered 81 machines, which were later followed by others. However, the concept of direct ground support in the Regia Aeronautica was not undisputed, and many pilots were not adequately trained in depth. The hunting pilots, on the other hand, complained of the heavy control, the bomber pilots, in turn accustomed to less maneuverable machines, praised their agility. This ambiguous assessment of their fluency did not make the development of a coherent operational concept easier.

However, it quickly became apparent that the machine could barely lift with maximum bomb loading and was even very difficult to fly even with reduced cargo. For weight saving the guard tower was replaced by an open stand. Basically however the Ba.65 was easy to fly, only just too weakly motorized. Thirteen machines went directly into the Spanish Civil War, another eleven were delivered as replacement engines. The machines were used in the battles of Teruel and Santander by the nationalists of Franco.



In Spain the Ba.65 were used mostly as a hunting aircraft to intercept the SB-2 bombers supplied by the Soviet Union. The Fiat CR.32 double-decker hunters delivered by Italy were too slow for that. That is why the Ba.65 flew in Spain without rear shooters and without a bomb bay. Later, however, they were reinstated in their original role.

As a single-seater, the engine proved itself, so that from 1939 all Italian Ba.65 were only flown as single-seater. The production was however stopped in July 1939 after 218 machines. It was foreseen to use the Ba.65 only for bridging until the introduction of the successor model Breda Ba.88. The machines should actually be scrapped in 1940. Since the Ba.88, however, in contrast to Ba.65 proved to be a misconstruction, at the beginning of the Second World War the Ba.65 machines were moved to North Africa to fight British troops.

By early 1941, the engines had performed well in their original role by attacking British vehicles in the desert. The losses from flak fire were very high, but on the other hand, British hunting stalls across North Africa were still equipped with obsolete Gloster Gladiator biplanes, which were slower than the Ba.65. Until February 1941, most of the machines had either been lost or no longer ready for action. In the Cyrenaika, many machines were left as wrecks and later captured by the British, though they were unable to fly.

25 machines were sold to Iraq in 1938. During the military coup in 1941 they were used with little success against the British troops in the country.

Chile bought twenty machines and Portugal ten. Interestingly, even the Soviet Union bought ten copies of this type, which, however, were only tested; From the experience with these machines the basis for the application concept of the Il-2 was later developed.

The Ba.65 was a very advanced concept in 1935, but was unable to fully exploit its potential because of the lack of engine performance. A total of 281 machines were produced (of which 16 were the zero series).







Technical specifications :

Length : 9,30 m   
Wing span : 12.10 m
Wing area : 23.5 m²
Height 3.20 m
Engine : 1 × 18-cylinder twin engine Fiat A.80 RC.41 with 1000 hp (746 kW)
Top speed : 430 km / h
Distance : 550 km
Crew : 1 pilot
Service height : 6300 m
Empty weight : 2400 kg
Max. Flight weight : 2950 kg
Armament : 2 x 7.7 mm MGs, 2 x 12.7 mm MGs Breda SAFAT,
Hull shaft for 200-400 kg bombs, additional 200 kg on outer load carriers possible.
As a two-seater another 7.7-mm-MG either in the tower or in the open tailgate.
Los Cerrillos AFB, Chile, 1938. Source 



Operators :
Kingdom of Italy    
Chile
Iraq
Portugal
Spanish State
Paraguay

0 commentaires:

The Gulfstream G500 and G550

08:05 Aviation Views 0 Comments



The Gulfstream G500 and G550
The Gulfstream G500 and G550, marketing names Gulfstream V-SP are for business jet aircraft manufactured by Gulfstream Aerospace division of General Dynamics, located in Savannah, Georgia,United States. The V-SP is an evolution of Gulfstream V.

















Gulfstream G500 :
The G500, the Gulfstream V variant was launched in 2002 and certified by the FAA (Federal Aviation Authority) in 2003. It entered service in 2004. weaker autonomy that the G550, it shares the external appearance as well as the cockpit. However, the G500 has no vision equipment as standard, but optional features. The capacity of the fuel tanks is less than that of the G550 and allows only autonomy of 5,800 nautical miles.


















Specifications : 
Crew: Pilot 1-2, 0-2 stewards / stewardesses
Capacity: 14-19 passengers
Length: 29.4 m
Wingspan: 28.5 m
Height: 7.9 m
Empty weight: 21.773 t
Loaded weight: 24.721 t
Useful load: 2,948 t
Maximum takeoff weight: 38,601 t
Reactors: G550: 2 Rolls-Royce BR710 turbofan thrust 68,4kN each G500 2 Pratt & Whitney Canada PW800 66.75 kN pushed each.
Maximum fuel weight: 15.966 t
Cabin length: 15.3 m
Cab height: 1.88 m
Cabin width: 2.24 m
Cabin volume: 47.3 m3
Volume of luggage compartment: 6.4 m3



Gulfstream G550 : 

The Gulfstream G550 is an improved version of
G-V SP. He arrived on the market in 2003, bringing performance up. Its range is 6,750 nautical miles (12,501 km), mainly due to aerodynamic improvements reducing drag. The Gulfstream 550 aircraft business with the longest battery life in the world (the future nonetheless surpass the G650 with 13 000 km of meadows). This device has a "Planeview" cockpit (that is to say with four monitors 21 Honeywell EFIS), an EVS (Enhanced Vision System) and an infrared camera that projects the image of the front view of a head-up collimator. The EVS allows the aircraft to land in visibility less time to other devices. This plane is distinguished from Gulfstream-V by a seventh passenger window on both sides of the cabin, and by the square outflow valve on the right side of the unit. The Gulfstream V, the valve is round.

Its price is around $ 50 million, the actor Will Smith, director Michael Bay and a Russian billionaire named Valery Korotkov own one [ref. necessary] . The US Navy has four G550 (referred to as C-37B) used for VIP transport.

The Gulfstream G550 is in direct competition with the Falcon 7X business, Boeing Business Jet and the Bombardier Global Express.


















Republic of Singapore Air Force
 Gulfstream G550 CAEW landing
at RAAF Base Darwin during
Exercise Pitch Black 2012.
Photo from : Wikimedia 
specifications :
Length : 29.49 m
Wingspan : 28.5 m
Height : 7.9 m
Empty weight : 24,721 kg
crew : 2
Seats max : 19
Maximum payload : 2812 kg
Maximum takeoff weight : 41,277 kg
Two engines Rolls-Royce BR710 engines,
each with 68.4 kN
Reach 12,501 km (6,750 NM)
U.S. Air Force, 09-0525,
Gulfstream Aerospace C-37B
Photo source 
Max speed : Mach 0,885
Cruising speed : Mach 0.85
Service ceiling : 15,545 m (51,000 ft)



Operators :      

United States

English: Tanzania One arriving
in Zurich from Le Bourget
Photo source 
Germany

Kuwait

Israel

Singapore

Tanzania

Turkey    
IAF Gulfstream G500 "Nachshon-Shavit",
in IAF cadet graduation ceremony, #154,
source : Wikimedia Commons

Uganda                                                                                                
Singapore Air Show 2010: An operational G550 CAEW of 111 Squadron
Republic of Singapore Air Force on display Photo from Wikimedia Commons



0 commentaires:

The Fairey Firefly

10:31 Aviation Views 0 Comments

Fairey Firefly FR.1 Z2030 of the Fleet Air Arm at Manchester (Ringway) Airport wearing late WW2 markings, Photos from Wikimedia Commons


Fairey Firefly

The Fairey Firefly (Firefly) was a single-engine carrier-based fighter of the Fleet Air Arm of the Second World War the British manufacturer Fairey Aviation.

Despite superior firepower and better performance, the Firefly succeeded only belatedly to Fairey Fulmar. It was designed from the concept of the time of the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) of a fighter and two-seat reconnaissance, the pilot and his navigator are placed in separate cells. The unit would therefore robust, great autonomy and a single board logistics. But these strengths induced a heavy structure that crippled its overall performance.

A Fairey Firefly AS.Mk 6 antisubmarine version.
Photo from Wikimedia Commons 


Conception :
The birth of the project in 1940, the first prototype flew in December 1941. The Firefly was an all-metal monoplane, low folding wings with a Griffon engine, driving a four-bladed propeller. It was also equipped with a landing gear and a retractable landing butt. A fully glazed cabin housed the 2 crew members. The Firefly had very good flight characteristics especially at low speeds.



Commitments :
The job began operation in October 1943 on the aircraft carrier HMS Indefatigable. Firefly participated in operations against the German battleship Tirpitz. Also aboard the HMS Indefatigable, they distinguished themselves against the Japanese in participating in all naval operations, including the destruction of refineries in Sumatra, and were the first aircraft of the Fleet Air Arm over Japan and Tokyo.


Fairey Firefly Mk. I, Photo from Wikimedia commons


After the Second World War, they continued their career, particularly during the Korean War and then in the armed forces of the Netherlands who used them among others in the Battle of the Arafura Sea against Indonesia in 1962.


 Data : 
Type : fighter, Carrier fighter. 
Crew : 2
First flight : December 22, 1941
In active service : 1943 - 1956
Origin : United Kingdom
Manufacturer : Fairey Aviation Company
Length: 11.46 m
Span : 13.56 meters
Height : 4.15 m
Wing area :  30.47 m²
Empty weight : 4430 kg
Loaded weight:  6375 kg
Engine (s) Rolls-Royce Griffon IIB
Engine : 1730 hp

Performance :
Max. speed 509 km / h
Range with max. fuel 2 100 km
Service ceiling : 8528 meters
Climb to  3,050 m : 5.43 m / s

Arming :
Armament 4 x 20mm Hispano-Suiza Hs.404
Bomber 2 × 454 kg
Rockets 8 × RP-3

Operators :  

United Kingdom
Australia
Canada
Denmark
Netherlands
India
Sweden

Thailand



1 -The (Swedish) Svensk Flygtjanst AB 
2 -The Danish Air Force 
3 - The Indian Navy 
4 - The Royal Thai Navy 
5 - The FAA 827 sqn HMS.Triumph 1950 (Korean war) 
6 -The Royal Canadian Navy
7 - The Ethiopian Air Force (ex-Canadian navy)
8 - The FAA 1771 sqn HMS.Implacable 1945
9 - The FAA 1770 sqn HMS.Indefatigable 1945
10 - The FAA 860 sqn (Dutch) 1946


11 - The FAA 792 sqn nightfighter training between 1948-1949


12 - The FAA 827 sqn HMS.Triumph 1950 (Korean war)


13 - The Ethiopian Air Force


14 - The Dutch Naval Air 
Service (MLD) 861 sqn


15 - The Dutch Naval Air Service (MLD) 860 sqn Dutch 
East Indies between 1946-1950



0 commentaires:

Albatros D.I

09:46 Aviation Views 0 Comments

Albatros D.I Photos from istoryk.at.ua

Albatros D.I 
The Albatros D.i (internal designation L15) was a German fighter of the First World War and the first operational combat single with a double-MG.


In the spring of 1916 conquered new fighter aircraft of the Allies, especially the French Nieuport 11 and the British Airco Dh.2, the air over the Western Front against the outdated Fokker monoplane back. Given the critical layers at Verdun and later at the Somme the mounting losses of own aircraft and crews valuable weighed particularly heavy, thus accompanied the growing threat of the soldiers in the trenches by enemy air raids and artillery observation. Urgent new fighter was sought in order to stabilize the situation.



For the first time put the company Albatros deals with the development of a fighter plane. In April 1916, the Technical Director of Albatros aircraft plants Dipl.-Ing designed. Robert Thelen and his assistants Schubert and gracious from the two-seater Albatros C-examination the Jagdeinsitzer DI (Designation D was the default name for a single-seat, armed biplane fighter, albatross gave the aircraft later the internal working name L15), of a powerful engine with should combine a strong armament. His design was characterized by a hull made of wood in a novel semi-monocoque construction of which was aerodynamically very stable and with its sleek teardrop shape and almost completely in the fuselage faired engine block also - however, affected by the mounted on the hull sides Windhoff cooler operating at a Results had to lead to engine failure and were banned on November 10, 1916 for use. The wings were covered in conventional design with linen. As the water-cooled engines 150 hp Benz Bz.III or the 160 hp Mercedes D.III six-cylinder engine were available; the choice fell on the Mercedes D.III of not only much stronger than the rotary engines of Nieuport (80 hp) and the DH2 (100 hp) was, but the Albatros DI with its takeoff weight of nearly 900 kilograms in relation to Nieuport (480 kg) and DH2 (654 kg) also made particularly difficult. However, this brought the key in a dogfight advantage of a huge diving speed.



The two synchronized machine guns doubled the firepower of the recent struggle seater. The aircraft could be handled superbly thanks to the powerful engine and the balanced elevator despite its weight. It was much faster than the comparison sample of the Entente and had an excellent climbing ability, but was not as agile as the Fokker monoplane used previously or at the same time developed Halberstadt Jagdeinsitzer. Another drawback was that caused by the upper wing limited visibility up front. These disadvantages, however, were more than offset by the higher gradeability, speed and firepower.




General characteristics : 

Wingspan: 8.50 m
Length: 7.33 m
Height: 2.95 m
Wing area: 22,90 m²
Empty weight: 674 kg
Loading capacity: 224 kg
Max. Start Weight: 898 kg
Engine: Water-cooled 6-cylinder engine (Mercedes D III with 160 hp or 150 hp Benz with Bz.III)
Armament: 2 synchronized 7.92 mm LMG 08/15
Max speed: 175 km / h on NN
Service ceiling: 6000 m
Climb performance: 3.3 m / s
Rise time at 1,000 m: 4 min
Rise time at 3,000m: 15 min
Rise time on 5000m: 40 min
Flight duration: 1: 50h
Max. Range: 230 km
Crew: 1 man
Quantity: 50



0 commentaires:

Nieuport 17

07:49 Aviation Views 0 Comments

Nieuport biplane fighter. (Haut-Rhin, France 1917) by Paul Castelnau This image has been digitally manipulated. Photos from Wikimedia 

Nieuport 17

The Nieuport 17, was a french fighter aircraft during ww1, builed by the french eingineer " Gustave Delage " (Nieuport company) and put into service in 1916.
it was equipped with a more powerful engine, larger wings and a better structure.
The first devices were equipped with an engine of 110 hp (82 kW), later with an engine of 130 hp (97 kW).
 It was a very maneuverable aircraft but lower wings tended to break during extreme maneuvers.



The aircraft was used by the french, British, Belgian, Russian and italian army and the almost the rest of the great aces.

The Germans were impressed by the performance of the French hunter realized in a very faithful copy: the "Siemens Schuckert D.I" which was built in 95 copies.



Technical specifications :
crew 1
Length 5.96 m
Wingspan 8.20 m
Height 2.44 m
Wing area 14,75 m²
Empty weight 374 kg
Max. Off mass 560 kg
Max speed 170 km / h
Service ceiling 5350 m
Range 250 km
Powerplant: 1 × 9-cylinder rotary engine with 82 kW
Armament : -1 Vickers or Lewis machine gun





Operators : 

Belgium
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Czechoslovakia
Estonia
Finland
France
Hungarian Soviet Republic 
Kingdom of Italy
Netherlands
Poland
Romania
Russian Empire
Switzerland
Soviet Union 
Ukraine
United Kingdom
United States

0 commentaires:

Focker-Wulf FW 190

11:17 Aviation Views 0 Comments

Focker-Wulf  FW 190 . Photos from Wikimedia commons



























The Focke Wulf 190 was designed in conjunction with the Hawker Typhoon, that is to say in 1937. While the latter is expected to replace the Hawker Hurricane, the Fw 190 to replace her Bf 109.

Kurt Tank, who was the Focke Wulf specialized executive, decided to use a landing gear track (space between two train legs) wide to ensure stability on the ground that the Bf 109 who met many problems with its narrow train.

At the engine, the engineers had a choice between Daimler-Benz DB 601 online and 139 BMW star. They opted for the use of a radial engine that better support the damage in battle than in-line engines of the Bf 109. The architect of Focke Wulf, R. Blaser, was in charge of building up the prototype that was to be equipped a bubble canopy to provide high visibility to the driver.

The first prototype, the Fw 190V1, takes off June 1, 1939 at the hands of Hans Sander near Bremen. The first two aircraft were equipped with a large propeller pan which was connected to the master torque of the engine hood. Because of the important problems of overheating it generated, it had to be replaced.

For its part, the BMW 139 engine 1550ch was replaced by the BMW 801 at two-cylinder double star of 1560ch in its first version for the Fw 190 (Version C1) and will 2400ch in its most recent form, the F this substitution happened in light of the fact that the BMW 139, in spite of the cooling fan with 10 cutting edges introduced between the engine block and the propeller, it overheating. The BMW 801 required to lengthen the nose of the aircraft and back the cockpit to keep the center of gravity.
The first 9 preproduction machines Fw 190A-0 had a wing region of ​​15m². With the new motor, wing zone was extended to 18,30m² to reestablish the flight qualities of the air ship. This arrangement will be kept for the production version.

Operational testing in 1940 did not see the emergence of new special problems. However, the Luftwaffe pilot considered arming the Fw 190A-1, with four assault rifles MG 17 of 7.92, inadequate.

One hundred Fw 190A-1 were built in Bremen and Hamburg until the end of May 1941. Their top speed was 625 km/h in level. He was occupied with battle in September 1941. Following commissioning in September 1941 the Fw 190A-1 in the 26 II./JG based Moorseele (Belgium), the RAF suffered many losses and it will have to wait until early 1942 to actually understand what devices they had to do.

Production of the Fw 190 has many industrial facilities Cottbus, Marienburg, Neubrandenburg, Schwerin, Sorau, Tutow, assembly lines of Ago and Fieseler. The Fw 190A will be built in several sub-versions, to 13291 copies. Alternatives B and C were not mass produced.

The Fw 190D was powered by a Junkers Jumo 213A-1 to V12 with an output of 1800ch to ring radiator, lessening drag. With a specific end goal to coordinate this motor, it was important to extend the nose of the Fw 190, which earned him the name "The Fw 190 Long Nose". The drift and the rudders were extended. This gadget first flew in May 1944 and saw production begin in series in September 1944 under the name Fw 190D-9 since it succeeded the Fw 190A-8. They were put into service within 54 III./JG who was responsible for the air defense of the base where were the Me 262 Schwalbe Kommando Nowotny.






















The Fw 190E, reconnaissance version was never built. Versions F and G were reserved for the ground attack.

The Fw 190 proved to be a particularly formidable unit and fears, as well as by the English by the Soviets. He allowed many German ace to win the majority of their victories. Although significantly higher than the Bf 109 in terms of armament and maneuverability at low and medium altitudes, he never replaced it completely. It was not until the Spitfire XII and Tempest British side and the Soviet Yak-3 side to outperform the final.

He also attacked British ports until 1942, and attempted to dispute the mastery of the sky during the landing. Legend has it that only 2 Fw 190 were able to take off June 6: in fact, it seems that 760 outputs were made. At the end of June 1944, the Fw 190 had slaughtered 526 Allied aircraft for the loss of 551 in combat. The Bodenplatte operation would see the destruction of a large number of Fw 190.

By mid-1943, he served in the defense of the Reich, especially in night fighter missions to intercept raids of British bombers. He also faced the American day bombers, with a heavier armament. He fought until the fall of Berlin.

The Fw 190 appeared on the Russian front in September 1942. It was used to support ground troops, particularly those trapped in Kessels. Until 1943, he gave back the Luftwaffe air superiority. Later, to replace the Ju-87 and surpassed the 129 Hs annihilated, it was converted into a tank destroyer. In 1944 he was himself overwhelmed by the La-7 and Yak-3. Azul squadron, the Air Force Spanish volunteers on the Russian front, used the Fw 190A and G from September 1942 to July 1943, and in the defense of the Reich.

Hungary received 16 Fw 190F-8 November 8, 1944, for training, and the Fw 190G (72 in total). They ultimately served to the ultimate defense of Hungary until March 1945.

The Fw 190 was also deployed in North Africa, from November 1942 to May 1943, before being hired in Sicily. He made of ground attack missions and the Allies contra hard, sinking even a submarine.

When King Michael of Romania committed his coup on 23 August 1944, which was to bring Romania into the Allies, 22 Fw 190 were captured. They were never used, but 9 of them were confiscated by the Soviets.

Japanese air force received a Fw 190A-5 for evaluation. Turkey received 72 Fw 190A-3 between October 1942 and March 1943. They remained in service until 1949. Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia (1 copy) made use of the Fw 190 after the war.

The Air Force used between February and April 1946 Fw 190A-5 and A-7 in the Normandie-Niemen GC under the name NC 900. They were built at the plant Cravant 70 copies from late 1944 to 18 February 1946.

In total, about 20,000 Fw 190 were produced during the war with a maximum rate of 22 aircraft per day. 28 survived and are on display in museums, including one at the Paris museum. Since 1997, the company Flug Werk GmbH built replicas of Fw 190A-8 (20 copies) and some Fw 190D.











Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8 (1944)

Wingspan: 10.51 m
Length: 9.00 m
Height: 3.95 m
Wing area: 18.3 m²
Engine: BMW 801 D-2
Loaded weight: 4400 kg
Wing loading 239 kg / m²
Max speed 656 km / h in 6000 m height
Ceiling: 10.600 m
Range: 800 km
Armament: two 13 mm MG 131 above the engine,

two 20-mm MG 151 / 20E controlled by the propeller arc shooting in the wing roots, two 20-mm MG 151 / 20E uncontrolled on propeller circle around everywhere in the outer wings


Operators : 

Czechoslovakia
 France
 Germany
 Hungary
 Japan
 Spanish State
 Romania
 Turkey
 United Kingdom
 United States

 Yugoslavia

0 commentaires:

Airco DH.9

11:11 Aviation Views 1 Comments

De Havilland DH.9 preserved at the Musee de l'Air et de l'Espace, Paris Le Bourget
Photo from  Wikimedia Commons

Airco DH.9 was a British bomber ( with two-seater) derived from Airco DH.4
Designed to succeed the Airdo DH.4 the underpowered Airco DH.9 proved very disappointing. The device was then modified to allow a Liberty 12 engine, becoming Airco DH.9A. The Airco DH.9A was an essential instrument of British colonial policy in the 1920s.















The Airco  DH.4 just came on when Geoffrey de Havilland began development of its successor. As sometimes reproached DH.4 the position of the fuel tank located between the pilot and the gunner, which did not facilitate communication between two men, the fuselage was redesigned DH.4: The cockpit was postponed behind the cabin, before the reservoir. To improve forward visibility, which does not really taking advantage of the decline of the pilot, the radiator was mounted under the fuselage and the engine hood refined, with a engine partly outdoors. And this engine was none other than the B.H.P Galloway Adriatic, which should equip the DH.4. Developed by Beardmore-Halford-Pullinger, this engine was to develop in its standard version and 300 hp two-seater to ensure comfortable performance to compete with the German fighters. For the rest the DH.9 retained the wing and tail of its predecessor. So it was a classic biplane entoilée wooden structure and armament was identical to that of DH.4.





In early 1917, the German bombing of London led to the decision to double the size of the RFC, in particular to create a large fleet of bombers. The DH.9 having on paper excellent performance, with a cell similar to that of Airco DH.4, which facilitated the transfer of production to another, 4630 DH.9 were put in order, production was be distributed between ten manufacturers. The prototype, a modified DH.4, first flew at Hendon in July 1917. Unfortunately the BHP engine was a big disappointment. Very temperamental, it was necessary to limit the power to 230 hp continuous regime, which had very negative effects on the bomber performance, especially at altitude. The Airco DH.9 was slower than DH.4 he had to replace and it was not uncommon for the number of formations crossing the forehead significantly reduced simply because the engine power did not allow the aircraft keep training.


Repowering Attempts were therefore made: A lighter and more powerful version (on paper) of BHP Puma Armstrong-Siddeley engine of 230 hp also, but more reliable and a Fiat A12 engine and finally a Napier Lion 430 hp which posed problems of supply. None of these solutions will bring a satisfactory solution, it was necessary to resolve to redraw the tandem around a more reliable and powerful engine. Yet the mass production of DH.9 was continued until 1919, and the aircraft was not removed from the service by the RAF in 1920.




Information :

Country origin : British
Desihner : Geoffrey de Havilland
Introduction : in 1917
First flight ; in July 1917
Length :  9.27 m
Height ; 3.44 m
Wingspan : 12,92 m
Wing area : 40,32 m²
Powerplant: 1 × Siddeley Puma piston engine,172 kW
Top speed 178 km / h
Rise time to about 1980 m altitude : 10 min. 20 sec.
Ceiling : 4725 m
full tank ; about 700 km
Empty weight : 1012 kg
Max. Off mass : 1508 kg
Crew : 2 (a pilot / a bombardier)
Armament : 1 rigid forward-firing 7.7-mm-Vickers-MG, one or two 7.7 mm Lewis machine guns on the swivel head, 209 kg bombs



Countries of Militay Operators :

 Afghanistan
Greek AircoDH.9
 Australia
 Belgium
 Canada
 Bolivia
 Chile
 Estonia
 India
 Greece
 Kingdom of Hejaz
 Ireland
 Latvia
 Netherlands
 New Zealand
 Paraguay
Turkish Airco DH9 
 Peru
 Poland
 Romania
Spain Kingdom of Spain
South Africa
Soviet Union
Switzerland
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States
Uruguay







1 commentaires: